The Sunningdale Agreement was an important step in the Northern Ireland peace process of the 1970s. The agreement, signed on December 9, 1973, aimed to establish a power-sharing government in Northern Ireland, in which both unionist and nationalist communities would have a say.
If you are studying Northern Ireland politics or history, you might be required to write an essay on the Sunningdale Agreement. To help you get started, we have put together a sample essay outline, highlighting some key points you might want to cover.
– Briefly explain the context of the Sunningdale Agreement, including the Troubles and previous attempts at peace.
– Provide a thesis statement outlining the focus of the essay.
1. The structure of the Sunningdale Agreement
– Describe the power-sharing government proposed by the agreement, including the Northern Ireland Assembly and Executive.
– Explain how the agreement sought to address the concerns of both unionists and nationalists.
2. Criticisms of the Sunningdale Agreement
– Outline the objections raised by some unionist politicians and paramilitary groups.
– Discuss the role of the Ulster Workers` Council strike in the collapse of the agreement.
3. Legacy of the Sunningdale Agreement
– Assess the impact of the agreement on the peace process in Northern Ireland.
– Discuss how elements of the agreement were later incorporated into the Good Friday Agreement of 1998.
– Summarise the key points made in the essay.
– Offer some final thoughts on the significance of the Sunningdale Agreement in Northern Ireland`s history.
When writing your essay, be sure to use appropriate sources and cite them correctly. You may also want to consider the use of keywords and phrases for SEO purposes, to ensure that your essay can be easily found by others researching the topic. Good luck!