U.S. Takes Control of Venezuela After Maduro Captured in Overnight Operation
Trump declares temporary U.S. rule as Maduro is jailed in New York and Caracas rejects Washington’s authority

Washington, January 4 EST: In a move without modern precedent, Donald Trump said Saturday that the United States will temporarily assume control of Venezuela, following a late-night military operation that ended with the capture of Nicolás Maduro and Cilia Flores.
Speaking at Mar-a-Lago in Florida, Trump framed the operation as both decisive and overdue, telling reporters the U.S. would run the country “until we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition.” The remarks came hours after residents of Caracas reported explosions, power failures, and unusual military activity across the capital.

Overnight Action Leaves Region Reeling
According to reporting from Reuters, CNN, and CBS News, the operation unfolded rapidly late Friday, with U.S. forces striking select security and communications sites tied to the Venezuelan government. Residents described sudden blasts and rolling blackouts that swept through parts of the city, disrupting phone and internet service.
By early Saturday morning, U.S. officials confirmed that Maduro and Flores had been removed from Venezuela and were en route to the United States. Administration officials declined to discuss tactical details, citing operational security, but described the mission as tightly scoped and completed within hours.
As reported by The New York Times, the planning involved extensive intelligence coordination and cooperation from regional partners, though those governments have not been publicly identified.
Maduro Booked Into Federal Detention

The captured Venezuelan leaders arrived Saturday afternoon at New York Stewart International Airport, according to CBS News, before being transported under armed escort to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn. Maduro was logged into the facility late Saturday night and is expected to appear in federal court as soon as Monday.
Attorney General Pam Bondi confirmed that prosecutors have filed a superseding indictment, reviving and expanding charges first announced in 2020. The case accuses Maduro of narco-terrorism, drug trafficking, and conspiring with criminal groups designated by the United States as terrorist organizations.
Federal prosecutors allege that Maduro and members of Venezuela’s political elite profited by facilitating the movement of massive quantities of cocaine toward U.S. markets. Maduro has consistently denied the allegations, describing them as a U.S.-engineered political campaign.
Legal analysts note that the detention of a sitting foreign head of state on U.S. soil is virtually unmatched in contemporary international practice.

Trump Eyes Venezuela’s Oil Machinery
Beyond the arrests, Trump made clear that Venezuela’s oil industry sits at the center of Washington’s next steps. The country holds the world’s largest proven crude reserves, though production has collapsed after years of economic mismanagement and sanctions.
According to CNBC and NPR, Trump said the U.S. would move quickly to restore output, describing a “collaboration” between American energy firms and Venezuela’s oil sector. He claimed reconstruction would cost billions of dollars, but insisted the expense would be borne by oil companies rather than U.S. taxpayers.
“We’ll get it running,” Trump said. “The companies will pay, and American companies will be very strongly involved.”
He did not specify who would authorize contracts, oversee revenues, or govern the industry during the transition period.

Energy experts caution that even with significant investment, restoring Venezuela’s oil capacity could take years due to decayed infrastructure, loss of skilled labor, and political uncertainty.
Caracas Denounces U.S. Claims
While Trump suggested that a handover of authority was already underway, officials in Caracas forcefully rejected that narrative.
Delcy Rodríguez condemned Maduro’s capture as an “illegal kidnapping,” according to statements carried by Al Jazeera and BBC News. She demanded his immediate release and insisted that he remains Venezuela’s sole legitimate president.
Her remarks directly contradicted Trump’s claim that Rodríguez had been sworn in and pledged cooperation to Washington. On the ground, Venezuela’s ministries, military leadership, and state broadcasters appear to remain under existing control.

Rubio Issues Stark Warning
Marco Rubio defended the operation during televised appearances Saturday, saying Maduro had repeatedly ignored opportunities to step aside peacefully.
According to CNN, Rubio warned that resistance would only worsen the outcome. “Don’t play games with this president,” he said, referring to Trump. “It’s not going to turn out well.”
The comments underscored the administration’s hard-line stance, portraying the operation as both a criminal prosecution and a national security intervention.
International Concern And Domestic Pressure
Reaction abroad was immediate. Several Latin American governments expressed alarm, while emergency discussions were reported at the Organization of American States and the United Nations Security Council, according to Reuters.
In Washington, lawmakers from both parties demanded classified briefings. Some Republicans praised Trump’s willingness to act, while Democrats questioned the legal authority to place a sovereign nation under temporary U.S. control without congressional approval.
Constitutional scholars say the administration is operating in legally uncertain territory, combining military force, criminal prosecution, and transitional governance in ways rarely tested in U.S. courts.
What Happens Next Is Unclear

For now, the Trump administration is projecting confidence, even as critical questions remain unanswered. Who governs Venezuela day to day? How long has U.S. oversight lasted? And what happens if unrest spreads beyond Caracas?
History suggests that removing a leader is far easier than stabilizing a deeply divided country of nearly 30 million people. Whether this intervention reshapes Venezuela or deepens its turmoil remains to be seen.
New Jersey Times Is Your Source: The Latest In Politics, Entertainment, Business, Breaking News, And Other News. Please Follow Us On Facebook, Instagram, And Twitter To Receive Instantaneous Updates. Also Do Checkout Our Telegram Channel @Njtdotcom For Latest Updates.

A political science PhD who jumped the academic ship to cover real-time governance, Olivia is the East Coast's sharpest watchdog. She dissects power plays in Trenton and D.C. without bias or apology.





