Advertisement
News

Trump Iran Talks Stall as Hormuz Dispute Raises New Oil Fears

Washington says the strait is open. Tehran says it is shut. Shipping remains disrupted as hopes for a deal fade.

The chances of a quick breakthrough between Washington and Tehran appeared to fade again on Tuesday after U.S. President Donald Trump said there were no talks taking place with Iran and none were scheduled. Trump also said the Strait of Hormuz was open and operating, a claim Iran continues to reject.

The disagreement is more than a war of words. Shipping through the strait remains severely disrupted, vessels are still facing security threats and oil markets are watching every development closely.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump said in a social media post.

He added that the U.S. naval blockade remained in place and said mines in the Strait of Hormuz had been removed or destroyed.

Iran, however, says the waterway remains closed and will stay that way until the United States meets conditions laid out by Tehran.

That leaves the two sides not only far apart over a possible peace deal, but also giving completely different descriptions of what is happening in one of the world’s busiest energy routes.

Diplomacy Appears to Hit Another Wall

The uncertainty comes at a particularly sensitive moment. A temporary ceasefire arrangement has expired, negotiations appear to have stalled and Iranian officials have warned that the country could take a more aggressive military position if diplomacy fails.

Trump, Nobel Peace Prize

There were no reports of major new strikes from either side on Tuesday, but that did little to calm fears of another round of escalation.

Only a day before Trump’s comments, Jared Kushner, his son-in-law and special envoy, had sounded much more hopeful. He said contacts with Tehran were continuing and suggested the discussions had become more substantial.

Trump’s statement the following day painted a very different picture.

The mixed messages have left fresh questions over whether diplomatic contacts are still happening quietly or whether the process has, for now, simply broken down.

Washington Says Hormuz Is Open, Iran Says It Is Not

For businesses, governments and energy traders, the immediate concern is the Strait of Hormuz. Iran’s parliament speaker and senior negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the strait would remain shut until Washington fulfilled conditions linked to an interim agreement reached in June.

Strait of Hormuz 1

Iran wants the U.S. blockade of its ports lifted, oil sanctions eased, frozen Iranian assets released and military operations and threats brought to an end.

Washington has shown little sign of accepting those demands. The argument over whether Hormuz is “open” has become one of the most visible signs of the wider dispute.

The United States says ships can physically pass through the waterway. Iran argues that the situation cannot be considered normal while military pressure and restrictions remain in place.

Ships Are Moving, But Traffic Is Far From Normal

On the water, the picture is much less reassuring than Trump’s comments suggest. Ship crossings remained in single digits at the start of the week, according to preliminary shipping data.

Trump Iran talks 1

For a route that carried about a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas before the war, that is a dramatic slowdown.

There was another reminder on Tuesday of why shipping companies remain cautious. A vessel leaving the Strait of Hormuz was struck by an unknown projectile, damaging its engine room and causing a crew casualty. Omani authorities were assisting the remaining crew.

There was no immediate indication of who was responsible. The incident highlights the difference between a waterway being technically open and being safe enough for normal commercial traffic.

For shipping companies, crews and insurers, that difference matters greatly. A route may be passable on a map, but repeated attacks and military threats can still make companies unwilling to send vessels through it.

UAE Reports Missiles Aimed at Maritime Traffic

Tensions also spread elsewhere in the Gulf.

The United Arab Emirates said it detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran and believed they were aimed at maritime traffic.

Both missiles fell into the sea, according to UAE officials. Iran rejected the allegation and described the accusation as baseless.

The UAE later suspended trade activities, exchanges and financial transactions with Iran, citing the worsening regional security situation.

The decision came only weeks after direct cargo shipping between the UAE and Iran had resumed through Dubai’s Jebel Ali Port.

It is another sign that the conflict is no longer only about military strikes. Trade and business ties across the region are being pulled into the crisis as well.

A 60-Day Window for a Wider Deal Has Expired

The latest setback comes after a diplomatic understanding reached on June 17 gave Washington and Tehran 60 days to work towards a broader agreement.

H-1B visa Trump , Swiss Central Bank

That deadline expired on Monday. Trump has said he does not plan to extend it. The agreement was supposed to create a path towards ending military operations while the two sides discussed Iran’s nuclear programme, U.S. sanctions and other major disagreements.

Instead, arguments over the Strait of Hormuz quickly weakened the arrangement. One of Washington’s biggest concerns remains Iran’s nuclear programme.

The United States wants to prevent Tehran from developing a nuclear weapon, but questions remain over enriched uranium believed to be buried at sites previously struck by the U.S. military.

That issue is likely to make any future agreement much harder to reach.

Tehran Says the Door to Talks Is Not Completely Closed

Iran, despite its tougher language, says it is still willing to negotiate. Mohammad Mokhber, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader, said Tehran remained open to dialogue with Washington.

Trump Iran Talks

But he also made clear that Iran does not see negotiations as surrender. Iranian officials have repeatedly argued that sanctions and military pressure will not force the country to abandon its position.

Behind those statements, however, the economic pressure on Iran is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore. Months of conflict, sanctions and disrupted trade have placed more strain on households and businesses.

Iranian leaders are also facing the possibility that further economic pain could trigger fresh unrest at home. That gives Tehran a reason to keep diplomacy alive, even as both sides publicly take harder positions.

Oil Markets Are Feeling the Uncertainty

The effects of the standoff are already being felt far beyond the Gulf. Oil prices moved higher again on Tuesday as hopes for a quick settlement weakened.

Oil

Brent crude has swung sharply during the conflict. At its peak, it reached around $126 a barrel, roughly 75% above its pre-war level. It later pulled back and settled at a little over $91 a barrel on Tuesday.

The concern goes well beyond the daily movement in oil prices.

If shipping through Hormuz remains disrupted, transporting oil becomes more expensive and risky. Insurance costs rise. Fuel becomes more expensive. Businesses then face higher transport and production costs.

Eventually, some of that reaches ordinary households. Global financial markets have also come under pressure as investors worry that higher energy prices could keep inflation elevated and make it harder for major economies to bring borrowing costs down.

No Clear Way Out Yet

For now, Washington and Tehran remain deeply divided. Trump says there are no negotiations planned. Iran says it is still willing to talk, but only on terms it can accept.

Washington says the Strait of Hormuz is open. Tehran says it remains shut.

Trump, United Nations, Telecom

Meanwhile, commercial traffic remains unusually low, security incidents continue and the U.S. naval blockade is still in place. Washington has also warned that it has more ways to tighten economic pressure on Iran if the situation worsens.

The absence of major strikes on Tuesday may have offered a brief period of calm, but it should not be mistaken for an end to the conflict.

Diplomacy has stalled, the ceasefire-related deadline has passed and neither side appears ready to give much ground.

And that leaves the Strait of Hormuz at the centre of the crisis.

What happens in this narrow stretch of water will not stay there. Another attack, a prolonged closure or a return to heavy fighting could quickly affect oil prices, shipping costs, inflation and household expenses across economies thousands of miles away.


New Jersey Times Is Your Source: The Latest In PoliticsEntertainmentBusinessBreaking News, And Other News. Please Follow Us On FacebookInstagram, And Twitter To Receive Instantaneous Updates. Also Do Checkout Our Telegram Channel @Njtdotcom For Latest Updates.

Trained in war zones, raised in Newark, and seasoned in city hall, Jordan blends grit reporting with deep integrity. From floods to finance bills, they’re always first on scene and last to leave.
+ posts

Trained in war zones, raised in Newark, and seasoned in city hall, Jordan blends grit reporting with deep integrity. From floods to finance bills, they’re always first on scene and last to leave.

Related Articles

Back to top button